Landlords are legally required to produce the following certificates, prior to a tenant moving in. Cavendish ensure that the Tenant is provided with copies of the certificates prior to occupation:


An Energy performance certificate is a test that rates a property’s energy efficiency from a scale of A to G and is uploaded onto a public database. Rental properties must have a minimum EPC rating of E, unless they have a specific registered exemption. EPCs are valid for 10 years and must be renewed if there is a change of occupancy. The certificate must be sent to the tenant prior to the occupation of the property.

Gas safety certificate

Gas safety checks must be conducted at least every 12 months to ensure all gas appliances and supplies are safe. It is required that tenants receive a copy of this certificate within 28 days of the check taking place. Tenancies cannot legally begin without a valid gas safety certificate in place.


Electrical installation condition reports are electrical safety tests that must be carried out on rental properties every 5 years. These must be passed as satisfactory. The landlord can provide an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) if the property is a new build, or if it has been completely rewired. These are also valid for 5 years.

Smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors

It is the landlord’s obligation to install Smoke alarms on all floors and a CO detector needs to be sited close to any gas or solid fuel appliance. This includes any open fireplace that is available for use i.e. not blocked off.

Furniture and Furnishings fire safety

Should the property be let furnished or if the Landlord leaves any furniture in the property for the tenants use they must ensure that the filling i.e. foam, is fire retardant. A permanent fire label ensuring the item complies with regulations should be attached and visible.

PAT testing

Currently Portable Appliance Testing is not an official legal requirement for landlords in England and Wales, however, it is considered best practice. It is the testing of all portable electrical appliances, for example washing machines, etc. The government state that landlords must make sure “the electrical system is safe” and “all appliances they supply are safe”. Whilst it is not a government legal requirement, it may be a condition enforced by a local council. However, Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs) and properties in Scotland must have PAT tests carried out.